Thursday, June 3, 2010

Luminaries Illuminated: Syr Richard de Montbrai

My name is Richard de Montbrai. I am an English knight of Anglo-Norman ancestry born in the year of our Lord1325 during the reign of Edward II. My father, Thomas, was a knight and small landholder in service to the Earl of Nottingham. My mother, Alice Meadows, was the only child of a modestly well-to-do wine merchant from Cornwall.

I received my training as a page and squire in the houisehold of Eustace of Hainault with whom my father had seen service in the ongoing disputes with France. I served as a squire in the Crecy campaign led by King Edward III of England and was knighted by His Majesty shortly thereafter. During my time in Normandy and the Low Countries, I was able to make contacts that allowed me to expand the trading business left to my mother. The lucrative wine trade between Guyenne, Normandy and England is now my primary source of income. Because of my efforts in support of the Crown, I have added 3 cogs/kraaks (merchant ships) to my company that allow me to do my own shipping – wine to England and wool and men-at-arms to France. My ships have been granted the privilege of displaying the Royal banner . This allows me to claim better service from port authorities and lower tariffs.

My martial career includes service at Crecy and Poitiers under the Prince of Wales. Ransoms collected on those battlefields have also allowed me to expand my business activities and buy land in Gravesend on which the fortified manor-house in which I live was constructed. Living at Gravesend allows me to have better control on my shipping headed to the wharves of London. During the Peasent Revolt my manor was a staging ground for forces loyal to young Richard II. I was an eager participant in the harrying of the peasant forces after their leader was slain.

I married Lady Margaret van Arteveldt from Bruges and her contacts with the textile industry increased the market for my wool shipments. She was lost to me in a storm in the Channel.

I am childless and live with my servants and a complement of guards at Buckhouse Manor. Here I have a small library and I have taken to the arts of calligraphy and illumination. Yet one more thing I owe to Count Eustace who insisted that his pages and squires learn both their letters and figures. Truly, His Excellency was a man ahead of his time who saw the value of being able to look closely over the shoulders of one’s clerks.

SCA History

I was the founding Seneschal of Falcon Cree. I was also the first Champion of Nottinghill Coill (before the advent of Rapier). I was awarded my AoA by Prince Brytor, the last Prince of the Principality of Atlantia. I am proud to be the second knight elevated from Southern Atlantia and in recognition of that I still use the Syr spelling of my honorific. I served a term as Baron of Nottinghill and always hold a warm place in my heart for my southern friends. I served as the captain for the combined Baronial force facing Storvik at Black Diamond and I’m proud to say we gave the Diamond it’s first victory in that series of events. I have Duke Olaf to thank for that wonderful opportunity. I also was co-founder of the Kingdom College of Oak Clyffe . I served Hidden Mountain as it’s warlord against Nottinghill in the second Southern Interbaronial War and helped them to victory. It was less than a year later that I became a Baron of Nottinghill Coill. I was the third principal of the Coill’s Tripaliaire (“The Tortured ones”) which later became the Gordian Knot. I was squired to Sir Jason of Andover, the first Knight made south of the Virginia border and became the first of his squires to be elevated to the Chivalry. I was knighted by Duke Olaf just under 5 years after joining the SCA.

I now reside in the Barony of Storvik (God help me I’m in yankee land!) where I spend my SCA time painting banners which I give away (now well over 100).I’ve also done various other art projects including C&I and have created over 500 scrolls for the Baronies and Atlantia. I also host the yearly National Zoo Demo (3 years running) and have autocrated and co-autocrated well over a dozen events.

It has been my great pleasure to serve the people of Atlantia

Current awards – KSCA, CP, CSS,SN, KAE, CGN, CCC, CSN, CCM, CSK, CPC, FM, SH, ME, DCW, DCC, CoO, CO

No comments:

Post a Comment